This creamy and flavorful White Chicken Chili will warm you right up! Using the slow cooker, this meal really couldn't get any easier. Top it off with fresh cilantro, lime and avocado for a perfectly balanced meal.
My slow cooker white chicken chili recipe uses common ingredients that can be thrown together in the crockpot for amazing results! Here's what you'll need:
- Chicken: I really like using boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this recipe, but you can use chicken breast as well. Thighs are less likely to dry out since they have a higher fat content.
- Onion & Garlic: Onion and garlic really start to build our flavor in this chili! Don't skimp on the garlic!
- Seasonings: Ranch seasoning, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Since ranch seasoning has a bit of sodium, don't add too much salt at first! You can taste it at the end to see if it needs more salt.
- Green Salsa: I used Herdez Green Salsa here. I also really like the taste of the Trader Joe's brand as well! The green salsa lends a hint of tangy spice.
- Corn: I added frozen corn, but you can add fresh or canned as well!
- Green Chiles: A small can of hatch green chiles adds some more flavor and spice.
- White Beans: You can use any white beans. I like Great Northern Beans and Cannellini Beans. I only had one can of white beans when I made this and added a can of pinto beans which turned out great as well!
- Chicken Broth: You can use broth or boullion here, whatever you have on hand!
- Heavy Cream: At the end, I add some heavy cream to take the creaminess to the next level!
How to Make This Recipe
- Set Up Slow Cooker: Start by setting up your slow cooker. Place the whole pieces of chicken in the bottom.
- Add Ingredients: Next, place the onion, garlic, ranch seasoning, cumin, chili powder, green salsa, frozen corn, green chiles, beans, and chicken broth. Basically, add all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream.
- Cook: Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to cook on LOW for at least 6 hours. After 6-8 hours, the chicken will be down and ready to shred. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add Heavy Cream: Add the heavy cream to the chili and let it cook for about 10 minutes on HIGH. Taste before serving and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, and avocado, if desired!
Tips for Success
- Need it more spicy? Add some cayenne pepper to the mix or serve with pickled jalapeños and hot sauce!
- Want a thicker white chicken chili? I will admit, I like a more soupy chili so I added 6 cups of broth. If you like a thicker chili, use 4-5 cups instead!
- Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos for a larger meal! If you don't usually get full on chili, you have to add all the toppings. Tortilla chips and Fritos would be delicious along with the avocado!
Frequently Asked Questions
This white chicken chili recipe is not spicy. It has just a slight spice but is mostly tangy and creamy. If you like it spicy, I recommend adding some cayenne pepper with the seasonings. Just a sprinkle will do!
Definitely! You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight container or freezer bag after the chili has cooled. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, you can leave it in the fridge for a few hours, then pour into a pot to warm it up on the stove. Alternatively, you can run cool water over the frozen container until the chili loosens from the sides, and then pour into a pot to warm up on the stove.
More Recipes to Try
White Chicken Chili
- 1.5 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 onion white or yellow, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 packet of ranch seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup green salsa
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 4.5 oz can hatch green chiles
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans or any white beans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- limes, cilantro and avocado for serving
- Start by placing the whole pieces of chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- On top of the chicken, place the onion, garlic, 1/2 ranch seasoning packet, cumin, chili powder, green salsa, frozen corn, hatch green chiles, beans, and chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to cook on LOW for at least 6 hours. After 6-8 hours, the chicken will be done and ready to shred. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred using two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the heavy cream to the chili and let it cook for another 10 minutes on HIGH. Taste before serving to see if it needs any salt or pepper. Serve with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, and avocado, if desired.